UPDATE: What a drag — I was nearly done with the hand quilting, when I encountered a block with an unstable print. This is always a risk when working with these very old fabrics, and although I try really hard to catch any little pieces with issues, I missed one this time. 🙁 Now I’m going to start over with a new swap quilt, but this time I’m going to use reproduction fabrics.
Here is my little quilt for the second doll quilt swap sponsored by Lori at Humble Quilts. This time I decided to make a double-pink utility quilt using the simple Shoofly pattern. On my first attempt I made the sashing about twice as wide as it is now, and I was not happy — it was too much pink, and the scale was all wrong. Now that I’ve taken it apart and cut down the sashing, I’m much happier, although it’s still very pink. I just hope whoever gets this quilt likes old double-pinks as much as I do.
All the fabrics in this 20″ square top are from my collection of antique blocks and tops, but the binding and backing will be reproductions. I’m planning on hand quilting with the Baptist Fan pattern, because that just seems right for a utility quilt. Click to enlarge the photo if you want to get a closer look at the individual prints.