The Water Drop quilt top is finally finished, and I think it looks pretty good. I just had a couple of problems. Although I really like the shading in my background fabric, I wasn’t thinking about how the organisms were going to look as I moved up to the lighter area. I had to rip out the white hairy edging on the large organism on the top left, because there just wasn’t enough contrast. I replaced the white with a light blue, which I think shows up better, but it bugs me a little because it’s different than the original illustration. Also, I should have been more careful about motif placement, because as I began to attach the outline of the drop, I realized that they were a little “off” at the top. To fill in the space, I extended the flagella on the top organism.
I haven’t worked on anything else this week, and I’m glad this top is finally done. I’m excited to get started on the quilting after Christmas.
I hope my nephew is going to like it.
The original illustration from The Giant Golden Book of Biology, 1961.