This cute Bernina was produced in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I found it at the Goodwill, hiding inside a nondescript sewing machine cabinet. The power cord was missing, so I couldn’t try out the motor, but it was only $20 and I could always return it if it didn’t work. When I got home, I managed to find an old extension cord that fit, and the thing actually sewed. After investing $120 to get it cleaned up, oiled and calibrated, it’s working perfectly.
It’s so nice to have a second machine, especially when you’re working on a project that requires a lot of thread changing. Another happy coincidence is that this machine uses the same feet as my Bernina 1000. It has a zig-zag stitch and a few others — also very similar to my other Bernina. Gordon constructed a nice extension for me, and I even located an original manual and some new bobbins.
It’s smallish compared to my free-arm Bernina, but it weighs a lot more at 33 lbs. It’s sort of the anti-featherweight, and like an industrial machine in that it can sew through anything. My very favorite thing, though, is the super cool, two-toned, avocado green paint job.