A quilt for Julie


This is a doll quilt I made for the new American Girl doll, Julie.  I related to this doll since the year is 1974 and she is a hippy like I was  (or at least as much as any AG doll could be).  Julie was also the name of my sister-in-law who had long blonde hair just like this doll.  This pattern is one I remembered from an old quilt book I had from 1977.  The original pattern was an appliqued twin bed quilt and I always thought it was a great example of the “flower power” type designs.  Because the smallest blocks on my quilt are only 4 inches square, I decided to crayon tint and embroider the doll quilt rather than applique.  This type of heavy crayon tinting was new for me, especially since I crayoned the whole block, including the background.  I also changed the colors a bit from the original pattern (below) and added green sashing strips.  To finish off, I hand quilted around most of the elements with colored thread to match the background tint.

I also used wall stickers to decorate the outside of a trunk which I already owned, and wallpapered the inside with butterfly scrapbook paper.  The outside was then painted with a couple of coats of acrylic to keep the stickers from peeling.  Now I just need to make her some cute 70’s style clothes.



Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
5 comments
Next Post