I was so pleased to see this pattern in my catalog, because I was able to identify 15 vintage quilt blocks I had purchased in this pattern. Later I found the original pattern, so for this McCall’s Monday I’m able to provide scans of the actual transfers. The pattern instructions from the envelope back are located here.
The quilt I made with my vintage blocks was one of my earliest posts back in January of 2009.
“I bought these cute vintage applique blocks on ebay. Because the blocks were small, I used some old scraps to make a crazy border around each block to enlarge them — also I thought this would look better since two of the animal blocks would be in the corners. The alternate blocks are also vintage scraps stitched to a muslin foundation. My Bernina 1000 is a mechanical machine that works perfectly well, but it only has a few stitches and blanket stitch is not one of them. I know blanket stitch would have looked much better, but I’m not buying a new sewing machine just for that. I’ve done this type of crazy pattern before, and it’s lots of fun and a good way to use up small scraps. I added an embroidered outline to the animals (to make them stand out a little more) and quilted the top with 2 strands of black DMC which I thought would show up more than quilting thread and would also match the rest of the quilt. This was the first time I tried using embroidery thread for quilting and it was easier than I thought. Just for fun, I made a sort of crazy binding.”
These traditional rose patterns appeared in the Aug/Sept, 1987 issue of Lady’s Circle Patchwork Quilts magazine. The original pages were only one-quarter of each 16″ block, but I have photoshopped them so you can see the whole design. Clicking on the images below will open a pdf version of the original one-quarter pattern, which you can download, print, and use to trace your templates. To make the guide for placing your templates, print 4 copies of the pattern, then trim and tape the four quarters together.
I’m always trying to figure out a way to duplicate these patterns from the very small images on the catalog pages. These Mexican motifs seemed like they would copy easier if they were in grayscale, so I changed them. Click on the images to enlarge.