Over the weekend I cut lots more pieces for the triangle quilt, including some medium value fabrics to tone down the contrast. In the photo, I have mixed the former dark/light group with some of these new dark/medium units (thank you, Gina), and I think the overall look is much better. My quilt isn’t going to look just like the original because my colors are different and my triangles are probably smaller (1 3/4″ x 2 1/2″), but I think it’s going to be nice.
Thank you to everyone who made suggestions on my last post about the quilt and also how to make a design wall. Although I was leaning toward going all out and just stitching these little 2-piece units in rows as I made them, I know after looking at this photo that I’m not going to be able to handle that. Even in this randomly placed small group, there are pieces I want to move around. Apparently, I am more of a control freak than I realized, so I’ll be making a trip to the fabric store for some flannel backed vinyl to make into a design wall.
Meredith and Mickie are both sending me some reproduction brown prints from their stashes, and I think more brown is going to make a big difference. Having a blog and meeting other bloggers who love vintage quilts is really a wonderful thing.