Obviously it’s a little late to stitch this up for Thanksgiving, but I just found this cute vintage transfer.
Thank you to all of my online friends who have given me tons of support, advice, inspiration and friendship.
I’ve been working very hard on this top to finish embroidering the top two rows. Honestly, I do not like being rushed when I’m doing handwork, but I have only myself to blame. It’s been almost a year since I started this quilt, hoping to have it done in plenty of time for the holidays. What can I say….I am easily distracted!
Rather than begin the quilting now, I am just going to hang up the top this Christmas. Hopefully I can manage to finish the quilting by this time next year.
Over the past few days I have been frantically working on Christmas presents and the Embroidered Christmas Quilt. Work has temporarily stopped on hand quilting the Antique Album Quilt and piecing the Grandmother’s Flower Garden Star. It’s crunch time now.
Here are two new dresses for my sister’s Shirley Temple doll made from scraps of vintage organdy I purchased on ebay. The long party dress is made with a turquoise flocked dot fabric — the color is beautiful, it was nice and stiff, and the dots are raised on both sides of the fabric. The petticoat and lining are a pale sea green color. The sash ribbon is wired, which I thought might be weird, but the color was so perfect I bought it anyway, and I really like the way it turned out. My older sister, Sally, originally made Mary a party dress for Shirley from this pattern, but it’s looking pretty shabby after almost 50 years. Shirley deserved a new fancy dress . . . and I just realized I need to make a pink rose hairbow.
The second dress would probably also be considered a party dress, but it’s a little less formal. This fabric was a bit softer, so I used some liquid starch to give it a little more body. the lining/petticoat for this dress are made from a piece of vintage yellow cotton.
Now I need to find some shoes for Shirley — a black pair and a white pair. I managed to find a red pair when I made her other clothes, but red shoes are not looking good with these outfits. My plan is to make a wool coat and hat, as well as a Halloween dress that I am sort of making up. I just hope I manage to finish them (and the other presents I’m making, and the Embroidered Christmas Quilt) in time for Christmas.
This is going to be a big quilt. I am barely able to hang it in my usual place on the hot tub house and this row is not even finished. The quilt is going to go on the bed with the giant mattress and box springs, so it’ll work out fine.
To me, the top and bottom edges of the original Nebraska quilt are awkward (although I like the sides), and I plan to change them by completing a little more of the edge star blocks. Also, I think the quilt’s white path will look much nicer once another row is added and you can see the white around the stars.
Contrary to my original plan, I decided to start sewing the stars and flowers together as I finish them. I thought I would want to lay out all the blocks at the end, but found that I was itching to sew them together. Honestly, I think with these sort of very scrappy quilts, it really doesn’t matter all that much, and it’s way more fun to see the top coming together.
I am having a lot of fun with this quilt. It’s especially enjoyable to do a top with another person — I always look forward to checking out what Steffi has done.