Japanese Felt Mascots

These Japanese books are available at the Kinokuniya Book Store (which is located in the Seattle Uwajimaya) for around $16.  You can also buy them on ebay, but those sellers charge over $25.  Although the directions are all written in Japanese, the diagrams are extremely detailed and easy to figure out.  If you want to try this, I would recommend either 100% wool felt or a wool blend.  It’s more expensive, but the cheap acrylic felt squares sold in many craft stores are too thin and will not hold their shape.  I am making these for my daughter, Emily, and her boyfriend, Aaron, for their first little Christmas tree.  I used 100% wool felt, embroidery floss and a few beads and buttons.  They are really fun to make and you can complete one in an hour or two, depending on the size and number of pieces.

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
2 comments

A quilt for Julie


This is a doll quilt I made for the new American Girl doll, Julie.  I related to this doll since the year is 1974 and she is a hippy like I was  (or at least as much as any AG doll could be).  Julie was also the name of my sister-in-law who had long blonde hair just like this doll.  This pattern is one I remembered from an old quilt book I had from 1977.  The original pattern was an appliqued twin bed quilt and I always thought it was a great example of the “flower power” type designs.  Because the smallest blocks on my quilt are only 4 inches square, I decided to crayon tint and embroider the doll quilt rather than applique.  This type of heavy crayon tinting was new for me, especially since I crayoned the whole block, including the background.  I also changed the colors a bit from the original pattern (below) and added green sashing strips.  To finish off, I hand quilted around most of the elements with colored thread to match the background tint.

I also used wall stickers to decorate the outside of a trunk which I already owned, and wallpapered the inside with butterfly scrapbook paper.  The outside was then painted with a couple of coats of acrylic to keep the stickers from peeling.  Now I just need to make her some cute 70’s style clothes.

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
5 comments