Posts Written On October 2016

McCall’s Monday — Dutch Boys and Girls Embroidery Patterns, Part 2

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments on my blog break post. I’m fine — just very busy with family and projects that have nothing to do with quilting or embroidery. I hope to share a few things in the next couple of months, and look forward to getting back to a regular blogging schedule after the holidays.

Here are the rest of McCall’s 779, Dutch Boy and Girls. The other two motifs can be found in an earlier post.

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-3c

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-3

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-4c

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-4

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-5c

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-5-reversed

 

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-6c

mccalls-779-dutch-boy-girl-6

4 comments

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

For the past few weeks I’ve been working on Emily’s latest Halloween costume. This year she asked me to make the Cyndi Lauper outfit from the “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” video, which was, appropriately, a lot of fun to make. It’s a coincidence, since I recently posted a squaw apron pattern, and the skirt Cyndi wears in the video is a thrift shop squaw skirt, probably from the 1950s.

As you can tell from the photo below, Cyndi’s skirt is very full. I decided to make Emily’s skirt with circular tiers, instead of the straight ones called for in my vintage pattern — it’s still very full, but less bulky and heavy. It’s a little trickier to sew the trim on a curve, but I like the way it turned out — the bottom of the skirt is just short of 9 yards long.

Here’s Emily . . .

emily-cyndi-lauper-costume

and here’s Cyndi . . .

cyndi-lauper-girls-just-wanna-have-fun

Of course, we couldn’t find anything like these weird tribal mask earrings Cyndi wore, but I thought I could make them with Sculpey clay, and that’s exactly what I did.

cyndi-lauper-repro-earring

7 comments

Liberated Basket Quilt-a-Long — Fishy Border

I live on the Pacific Northwest coast, so of course I’m going to make salmon for my fish border. Still, even though I came up with an idea right away, it took me forever to stitch them, and I just barely finished in time. Also, I ran into the same problem I had with the log cabin blocks — the scraps I was working with were too small. My solution this time was to make Susan McCord style fish, and I’m actually pretty happy with my patchwork salmon.

I made templates from some images I found online, but the details on the fish were small, and I was struggling with my normal baste and pin method. I ended up using the dryer sheet technique to prep them, except I substituted sheer-weight interfacing because it doesn’t melt when you iron it the way dryer sheets do. Using the interfacing produced a salmon that was a bit thicker and tricker to stitch down than my normal technique, and they also have a slightly puffy look to them in person, but the details (fins, tail and mouth) look better. The top ended up at 58″ square.

Click to enlarge the image if you want a closer look at the fishy border. It’s weird — something I never would have chosen on my own — but I like it a lot. Thanks, Wendy, for the inspiration.

liberated-basket-quilt-fishy-border

 

32 comments