This quilt was started in September, 2009. I managed to stay with it long enough to finish the blocks and sashing, as well as one border, and then it sat in a shoebox for almost five years. Finishing this top is part of my latest attempt to complete some of these old projects.
The quilt was inspired by two things: drawings from a vintage coloring book that I saw on Chelsea Ann’s blog, Itty Bitty Birdy, and a cute Japanese circus print fabric (last photo below). Chelsea Ann generously sent me some images from her coloring book, then later I managed to locate a copy of both the original circus coloring book, and another book by the same illustrator with even more circus drawings.
The top measures 39″ x 48″, and was stitched with Danish Flower Thread on a natural cream-colored fabric (my photos don’t display the cream very well). The circus fabric is for the backing, but I can’t decide whether I should make the binding with striped prairie points, cross-grain stripe, or bias diagonal stripe. I just realized I also have enough fabric I could add another border out of the stripe (same size as the sashing). I’d love to hear what you would do.
Update: After reading the first 3 comments, I decided to add a photo at the end to help visualize a striped binding and a striped border. Click any of the images to enlarge.