The past week I have been experimenting with aprons again, the pattern inspired by the aprons in my 1920s Herrschner’s catalogs. I used this same pattern for my Valentine apron, but this time I am changing it up a little by using vintage linens and adding embroidered details. To make them hang better and look nicer on the inside, the aprons and pockets are all lined with white or ivory vintage sheeting.

The first apron was cut from half of a vintage damask tablecloth and a Madeira cutwork linen napkin, the embroidered corner of of which was used on the neckline, while the opposite plain corner decorates the pocket. I added some running stitches and floral embroidery, and cut the bias tape out of a small floral scrap. Twill tape in a natural shade was used for the ties.

1920s-Damask-Embroidered-Apron-front

1920s-Damask-Embroidered-Apron-side

1920s-Damask-Embroidered-Apron-back

The second apron is made from the other half of the damask tablecloth, but this time I used a vintage embroidered antimacassar set on the neckline and the pockets. I love the crocheted edging on these pieces. For this apron I used a slightly larger bias tape maker (the 3/4″ instead of 1/2″), and I like it much better. Some of the seams are a little thick where the embroidered pieces are set in, and this slightly wider bias tape is easier to work with. Also, I think it’s nice to be able to see more of the colorful little prints.

1920s-Damask-Antimacassar-Apron-front

1920s-Damask-Antimacassar-Apron-side

The last apron is made with a piece of vintage pillow ticking and another Madeira linen napkin. The embroidery is simple on this apron because of the busy print, but I did add a couple of cute vintage buttons to the pockets and pink ribbon ties. The binding is vintage all-cotton bias tape (Trimtex – 6 yards for 10¢). I can’t get enough of that old bias tape.

1920s-Ticking-Apron-front

1920s-Ticking-Apron-side

Today I am drafting a new pattern which is more loose fitting and tie-less. So far I’m really liking it.