Merry Christmas Paint Book
Whitman Publishing, 1947
Eileen Fox Vaughan, Illustrator
Usually I make lots more shapes in the Mirro collection, but this year it was all about trees. Here is a cookie sheet just ready to go in the oven — there were 11 more just like this. I go through a lot of sprinkles and sugar, as you can see from my sloppy decorating job. Oops, one poor tree in the photo has no ornaments — I guess I’ll just have to eat that one.
The recipe is the same one I’ve been using for over 40 years, and it’s almost the same as Barbara’s at Oodles and Oodles. I use a little less flour (3 1/2 cups instead of 4) because it seems to work better in my press. Although I tried all of Barbara’s tricks, I could not duplicate her amazing feat of no mess-ups. Actually, I sent a bunch of trees back to the recycled dough bowl. It took all day and there was some swearing, but now it’s over and I have tons of lovely, buttery Christmas tree cookies to give away.
Here is another series pattern by Eveline Foland which was published in the Kansas City Star. I have seen old children’s books that combined a Christmas story with Mother Goose characters, but I think it’s a little odd that the name of this quilt makes no reference to Mother Goose. Also, the nursery rhyme characters are not doing anything Christmasy in the pictures, and most of them don’t look like they’re in any kind of parade either.
Toy Shop Window is a 1932 pattern by Ruby Short McKim. I have seen this quilt done in redwork, and also with multi-colored embroidery thread and crayon. The original pattern shows a set with alternate blocks quilted with a star pattern, but I have also seen a smaller version with the quilt blocks set straight. The designs for the blocks are shown below (click to enlarge); the complete pattern with instructions is available here.
Sometimes I think I shouldn’t have named this blog “Q is for Quilter,” because I have many other hobbies besides quilting. There haven’t been too many quilting posts lately, but it’s not like I’ve given up quilting — I work on my Seven Sisters top every day. It’s just that I think it’s pretty boring to look at photos of the same blocks day after day.
So, once again, I’m going to show you my latest dress for the thrift shop. This pattern has an amazingly full skirt, with an equally full apron skirt on top. They are both gathered to the bodice which made for a very thick seam, so I graded each layer and covered the whole seam with double-fold bias tape for a clean finish. This is something I do quite a bit on unfinished seams — it only takes a minute and I think it looks as good or better than a serger (which I don’t have).
I like all the little details on this dress, and I was surprised when I read the instructions to find out that the apron is sewn to the dress. The only separate piece is the ribbon and fabric sash, with its cute button detail. Because it’s so full, this dress is quite a bit heavier than any of my other dresses.
Here is the hang tag for this dress. I needed to put fabric content and washing instructions, so I thought it would be fun to add the illustration from the original sewing pattern.